Programmes Offered :
India’s First Deemed to be University in Maritime Education

South Tyneside College

South Tyneside College has provided education and training in South Tyneside for over 150 years. Established in 1861 as a Marine School, it has changed dramatically over the years to meet the evolving needs of both the local community and the marine industry. STC still enjoys a worldwide reputation for the quality of their marine Programmes. They are also very proud of their longstanding links with the local Borough. Today, they cater for nearly 3,000 full-time and over 5,000 part-time students who study hundreds of different Programmes and subject areas. However you will still find the same community ethos and the warm welcoming atmosphere which has always been their trademark.

The Marine School of South Shields, 1861-1950

The Marine School was founded by local patron Dr Winterbottom, who provided £21,000 in 1859 to educate boys aged over 17 who wished to go to sea. The Marine School opened on 26 March 1861 in hired rooms in the Mechanics Institute (today, the South Shields Museum). In 1869 a more permanent site was found, almost opposite on Ocean Road. By 1918, staff generally numbered seven and the Marine School offered not just navigation and scientific training, but also marine engineering.

The South Shields Marine and Technical College,1951-1984

In 1951 the Marine School was taken over by the Local Education Authority and became the South Shields Marine and Technical College. It marked the start of a new era. The College no longer offered solely marine training. Instead, it offered a wide range of different subjects for the people of South Tyneside. In 1957, due to increased demand and continual expansion, the College moved to its present site in Westoe. New departments opened in Electrical Engineering, Catering, General Studies and Maths and Science. Marine Training also developed and new facilities added: A Planetarium (1964), Radar Station (1968), Seamanship Centre (1972), Training Vessel on the Tyne (1971) and Ship’s Bridge Simulator (1981).

Hebburn Technical College, 1955-1984

The Hebburn Technical College grew out of the Jarrow Technical Institute, which was an offshoot of the Jarrow Grammar School. It was established to meet the large increase in demand for training for the local engineering, shipbuilding and mining industries.

South Tyneside College, 1984

The merger of South Shields and Hebburn in 1984 formed the college as we know it today. It has continued to evolve and develop since its formation in 1984. However it still maintains its two centers at Westoe and Hebburn, as well as its worldwide reputation for marine training and its firm commitment to the local community.

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live support