Department of Civil & Ocean Engineering
India’s maritime trade comprises of export-import trade in various bulk commodities like crude oil and other petroleum products, iron ore and coal, besides general purpose cargo. Over the last ten years, since the onset of economic liberalization, there has been a significant spurt in handling of value-added goods mainly in form of containerised cargo movement, in several Indian ports. This has given rise to many new dimensions in the development of the port sector in the country.
The growing needs for development of port infrastructure warrants construction of advanced port facilities.
Currently, the berthing and handling capacities of India’s port sector is far below the required, about 40% of the required. Hence, it is high time for development of deep-water ports and harbours. Furthermore, 6000 km of mainland Indian coastline can accommodate hundreds of new harbours which will enable efficient and economical transportation system. The design and construction of port development facilities necessitates requirement of large number of ocean engineers.
Design of marine structures against the hostile wave climate becomes a challenging task for coastal engineers. There is a huge need of ocean and harbour engineers to meet the industrial needs both in India as well as abroad. In order to meet this industrial need, the Department of Harbour Engineering and Offshore Technology at AMET has been started during the academic year 2008-09.
To be recognized as a Department of Excellence in Harbour & Ocean Engineering education and research to serve as a valuable resource for the Students, Industry, Society, Public and remain to be a source of pride for the Country.
To nurture knowledge through cutting edge technology and research to promote academic excellence in the field of Harbour & Ocean Engineering.
- To identify and enfold the research projects in the thrust areas of through Industry Institute collaboration
- To nurture human talents in Ocean and related Engineering disciplines
|Name of the Programme|
|M.E. Structural Engineering and Construction|
- First of its kind in India to offer U.G. Programme in Harbor & Ocean Engineering
- Established a track record in placing the UG Students in top class MNCs
- Well-equipped laboratories with world class software from Bentley, a global leader dedicated to provide engineers, architects, geospatial professionals, constructors, and owner-operators with comprehensive software solutions for advanced infrastructure.
- International Collaborative Research & Project worth of Rs 26 lakhs