The Academy of Maritime Education and Training (AMET) was established as a private maritime academy in 1993 by Dr J Ramachandran, a philanthropist, maritime entrepreneur and social activist. The AMET has initially offered Higher National Diploma Programme in Marine Engineering and Nautical Science, a twinning Diploma Course in collaboration with institutions in United Kingdom. AMET has introduced specialized degree programs in maritime field such as B.Sc., Nautical Science in 2002 and 4 year B.E. Marine Engineering in 2001. In collaboration with A.P.Moller-Maersk AMET has started a unique 4 year polyvalent dual cadets (engine & deck) programme, B.E. Marine Technology. On 21st August 2007, Gazette Notification issued by Ministry of Human Resources and Development, Government of India declared the deemed to be University status to AMET under section 3 of UGC Act 1956 De Novo category. Since then, the University is catering the needs and dissemination of knowledge in the field of marine and maritime studies.
The University is offering Under Graduate, Post Graduate and Research Programmes in marine and maritime disciplines such as Marine Engineering, Nautical Sciences, Naval Architecture, Harbour Engineering, Petroleum Engineering, Shipping and Logistics, Marine Biotechnology, Electrical and Electronics Engineering Marine etc. The University, has emerged as a de novo category deemed to be University with the promise of excellence in marine and maritime education. The University aims to further enhance the quality in maritime education and aspires to be a leading Maritime University with international standards.
AMET has been assessed and accredited with B Grade (CGPA 2.42/4) since November 15, 2015 and valid upto November 15, 2020.
The IQAC of AMET
AMET considers the quality as its prime focus. University is accredited with B Grade by NAAC since 2015. The Institute is certified with ISO since 1998. The ISO certification is awarded by an exclusive maritime industry classification society, the DNV GL. At present AMET is having the ISO 9001-2015. The Institution since 1998, is practicing the highest sincerity and methodical approach under the ISO system with a detailed Quality Management System. AMET has started sensitizing its Faculty and Department towards NAAC Accreditation since 2011. Prof Dr A Jaffar Hussain was nominated as the first Coordinator of NAAC Steering Committee. During 2013, the NAAC Steering Committee has been strengthened to a level of Internal Quality Assurance Cell. Dr M Jayaprakashvel has been nominated as the Coordinator IQAC and NAAC Steering Committee during 2013. The IQAC of AMET has been formally inaugurated on 13-05-2013 with internal Faculty as its members.
Objectives of AMET IQAC
AMET has formed an IQAC on 13.05.2013 which functions in close coordination with NAAC Steering Committee, Quality Management System and other University bodies like Academic Council.
As per the NAAC guidelines, IQAC shall a post-accreditation quality sustenance measure. Since quality enhancement is a continuous process, the IQAC shall become a part of the institution’s system and work towards realization of the goals of quality enhancement and sustenance. The prime task of the IQAC is to develop a system for conscious, consistent and catalytic improvement in the overall performance of institutions. For this, during the post-accreditation period, it will channelize all efforts and measures of the institution towards promoting its holistic academic excellence.
1) To evolve systems and procedures for the development, sustenance and enhancement of quality initiatives in academic and administrative performance of AMET.
2) To integrate the other bodies of AMET to provide a holistic approach for the quality initiatives
3) To elevate AMET as a top rated Higher Educational Institute in India in all the quality attributes
4) To upkeep the NAAC accreditation status and to achieve highest grade
1. Closely working with other quality oriented entities such as QMS
2. Setting up of quality standards as per NAAC guidelines
3. Finding the areas with opportunities for quality enhancement
4. Nurturing the existing quality in academics, administration etc
5. Optimize the good quality attributes
6. Create and improve the mechanisms for tracking the implementation of quality initiatives
7. Imbibe the culture of quality in every activities
AMET IQAC is working in close coordination with
1. Quality Management System of AMET under ISO 9001-2015 certification
2. Academic Council of AMET University
3. NAAC Steering Committee
4. University Departments
5. Specialized Research Centres
6. Other Quality oriented initiatives such as
a. Student Councils
b. University Centre for International Relations (UCIR)
c. Industry and Institution Collaborative Cell (IICC)
d. University Information Resource Centre (UIRC) etc.
Functions of AMET as per NAAC guidelines
AMET IQAC is committed to undertake the following functions in a phased manner:
1. Ensuring timely, efficient and progressive performance of academic and administrative tasks
2. Enhancing the quality of academic and research programmes
3. Making the University environment and academic programmes accessible for all sections of the society
4. Enhance the Institutional Social Responsibilities
5. Advice upon the modern methods of teaching and learning
6. Creation of credible feedback mechanisms
7. Ensuring secure and transparent evaluation system
8. Advice upon the enhancement of physical infrastructure
9. Making the Green Campus by inculcating the environmental consciousness
10. Ensuring the availability and maintenance of support structure and services
11. Enhance the collaborations with Industry, Academia and other spheres of the society
12. Development of quality benchmarks for various academic and administrative activities of the Institution
13. Arrangement for feedback response from students, parents and other stakeholders on quality-related institutional processes
14. Dissemination of information on various quality parameters of higher education
15. Organization of inter and intra institutional workshops, seminars on quality related themes
16. Documentation of the various programmes/activities leading to quality improvement
17. Acting as a nodal agency of the Institution for coordinating quality-related activities, including adoption and dissemination of best practices;
Composition of the IQAC
Initially, IQAC of AMET has been established with few internal Faculty Members from the Members of the NAAC Steering Committee itself. However, AMET has revised the composition of IQAC by involving
1. Vice Chancellor as Chairperson
2. A few administrative officers as members
3. Teaching Faculty
4. One member from the Management
5. Nominees from local society, Industry and Students
6. Distinguished academicians
7. A Teaching Faculty as Coordinator